Last week, Meta surprised the cyberworld by launching a new social media platform called Threads, an Instagram app. Threads is a messaging app developed by Meta that requires an Instagram account to login. The app received over five million sign-ups within the first four hours of launching and had over 30 million users after just one day, making it the most rapidly downloaded app ever. It is a direct competitor to Twitter and was created as a platform to spark community conversation. Much like twitter, it allows you to publish content under a limited character count, as well as like, comment and reshare.
In the rapidly evolving world of social media, businesses are constantly seeking new avenues to connect with their target audience and drive meaningful engagement. So, it was no shock that businesses and a handful of our clients eagerly came to work last Thursday morning wondering if Threads was a bandwagon they needed to jump on. While the app is still significantly new and we’re all learning to navigate, JNS Next is here to give you a few helpful insights to consider when trying to decide whether this movement is one that is right for you and your business.
- There are currently no advertising capabilities – making the platform appear more authentic and organic to consumers.
- The app is easy to download and navigate (which is why it was downloaded so rapidly).
- This could be a good opportunity to lean on content creators to create conversation around your brand rather than promoting yourself.
- A handful of destinations have begun experimenting with posting open-ended questions encouraging users to “share their favorite sunset picture” or respond with their favorite memories from visiting the destination and have been receiving high engagement with these methods, so far.
- Everyone is currently playing ‘nice’ on Threads. While this may not last forever, so far Threads appears to be a place filled with less hate than other platforms.
- It works as an extension to Instagram, allowing users to easily share their threads on Instagram stories, as well as grow their following and a community. A handful of businesses have used Threads as a way to alert users of an upcoming announcement they will be releasing on Instagram the following day.
- There are currently no advertising capabilities – making the platform a challenge for marketers to build a successful strategy around.
- The app is very in the moment, a place for casual communication, which can be hard for businesses to find a voice on.
- The app doesn’t currently provide any analytics other than follower count and number of likes and reshares.
- The app doesn’t currently allow users to pre-schedule content, which could become too time consuming or hard to keep up with for businesses already managing other social media channels and digital marketing platforms.
- Threads can only be used on mobile devices currently, not desktop.
- Currently, if you delete the Threads app, it will also delete your Instagram account along with it. So, once you download, there’s no going back.
- Many users have complained about their feed showing them too much content from random users they don’t want to see rather than showing content from just their followers in chronological order.
Threads, an Instagram app by Meta has not only captivated the attention of millions but has also achieved remarkable milestones in its early stages. But, remember, just because it’s highly used or valued, doesn’t always mean it’s right for your brand. Ultimately, the decision of whether Threads is right for your business requires careful consideration. Evaluate your specific social media objectives, target audience, and current marketing strategies. Stay up-to-date with the evolution of this app and stay on top of current trends. Make decisions that best align with your current goals and be prepared to adapt and pivot often.
With our finger on the pulse of the digital landscape, JNS Next has a proven track record of helping businesses navigate the ever-changing social media landscape. More than just marketers, we are an extension of your organization. Whether you’re looking to join Threads or want to stay in the know about other emerging trends, lean on us industry experts to help you navigate what’s right for your brand and discover what’s NEXT.
View this post on Instagram